Intermedio

bla bla bla

lunes, 12 de marzo de 2012

Written Slang - 01

Hey there!

So, I've been posting only lessons for beginners but, what about intermediate learners? therefore, I'm here typing this post for all of you intermediate and semi advanced learners about written slang!

First of all, do you know what slang is? if the answer is no, here's the explanation.

A slang is an informal word or expression, commonly used in everyday English. A slang may be a word that formally has a different meaning but in an informal conversation, depending on the context it takes another sense. But it also maybe a word that "doesn't" exist in formal or "grammatically accepted" English.

Here I will list some of the most common written slangs and abreviation. I want to start by this because it is very common to see these words in blogs, facebook, twitter and even magazines and many -believe me- many times, people don't understand them.

OMG - Oh My God.
I dunno - I don't know
brb - I'll be right back (I'll come back quickly)
lol - Laugh out Loud (this one is very common, I bet you've seen it, you know the meaning but maybe you don't know why) It means that something is very very funny and you laugh aloud, you go like (jaaaaaaaaaaajajajajajaaaaaa)
C U / c ya - See you.
How r u - How are you.
y? - Why?
B.Y.O.B / B.Y.O.W. - This is commonly used in invitations to parties. It means Bring your own bottle / bring your own wine.

All right, these are some of the most commonly written shortened words used in msn, facebook, texting, twitter, etc. But here's an explanation of some more that are very commonly used in everyday English, and some intermediate students might not undestand, either meaning or reason, yet.

gonna - Going to
gotta - Have to (obligation) I have to go = I gotta go / I've got to go
Time ago, the right way to say the word have was have got, just like that, complete, for everything, either obligation or possession. eg. Now: I have a car | before: I have got a car. || Now: I have to work | before: I have got to work. Little by little the word had changes, since the contraction for I have (Present perfect tense only) is I've eg. I have been to Washington twice - I've been to Washington twice. Informally they began to use this contraction everytime they used it. I have got to work - I've got to work - I've gotta work - I gotta work.
wanna - Want to
gotcha - Got you (I got you! = I gotcha!)

There are many other words like this in English. But they will be posted little by little. If I meant to make a complete list of slang on this post I would never finish it!

Read you later!
Emmnl Oblong.

0 comentarios:

Publicar un comentario

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More